There are 4 main solutions when you experience a blocked DPF. It is also worth diagnosing the vehicle as a lot of the time a blocked DPF can be caused by another issue. (Check DPF Sensors, EGR Valve and Swirl Flaps).
1. Forced Regeneration
The first solution is to try a forced regeneration. This is for cars that have only just started to show symptoms that the DPF is blocking. If this fails to work the DPF may be too far gone for this process.
– If the forced regeneration process is successful this is the cheapest way to cure a blocked DPF.
– A forced regeneration cannot always be preformed, depending on how blocked the DPF is.
The second solution would be to clean the DPF using latest advanced carbon cleaning technology break down carbon and soot deposits.
– The price of this is a fraction of a replacement unit.
– The vehicle may respond well and get 1,000 of more miles with any issues. .
– After testing a cleaned DPF it made no difference in power, compared to a blocked DPF (150k Miles).
– In term of tuning, a DPF filter (cleaned or blocked) is a massive restriction to Air Flow and EGT’s (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) resulting in lower power figures.
The third solution would be to replace the DPF. Generally speaking, these can be very expensive from the dealers, some costing upwards of £1500 + VAT.
– The vehicle will remain as it came from the factory meaning it will stay within the manufactures warranty.
– A new unit plus the labour is an expensive job to undertake.
– In terms of tuning, a DPF filter (new or blocked) is a massive restriction to Air Flow and EGT’s resulting in lower power figures.
The forth solution is to remove the DPF all together eliminating the problem with no risk of the same problems occurring in the future.
We must advise that in the UK this is illegal and it’s the customers responsibility to ensure they comply with rules and laws relating to their home country)
– A DPF Delete including software is usually around half the price of a new replacement unit.
– Eliminates all chances of the DPF blocking again in the future and further expenses.
– Removing the filter element will increase air flow and lower EGT’s resulting in better performance and economy.
-If removal of DPF is detected it may affect manufactures warranty and MOT .